I read a similar blog post on pinterest and it inspired me to sit down and think through what I want Ellie to know. I want to be intentional about shepherding her heart and capturing teachable moments to sow seeds.
I am already learning how important intentionality is in parenting. I know she is only 6 months old; but writing down what I want her to know and giving myself time to pray and marinate over it will allow it to take root in my heart. I can also start preparing her little heart through prayer.
1. You are a part of a God’s Story of Redemption (Matthew 6:33). God is telling a story and has invited us to be a part of it. We are not living for this life we are living for eternity. Invest in the eternal things not the temporary that will fade away. It’s not about you.
2. You were knit together, fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139). You are beautiful. God is your Creator, Your Heavenly Father. He breathed life into you. You were created in His image. God has a plan for your life (Jer. 29:11). He has given you gifts and talents unique to you. He has created you to use your gifts and talents to help the Body of Christ. Be proud of the way God made you and walk confidently down the path He has for you.
3. Love Others (Matthew 22:37-40) Care for those in need. Put others first. Loving others won’t always be easy. It’s hard to love those who hurt you. Work together with others. Love covers a multitude of sins. Forgive quickly.
4. Nothing is Impossible for God (Luke 1:37) Work like it depends on you, pray like it depends on God. He is your source. Trust Him. Depend on Him. Pray daily. Build your faith by reading His word. Dream big for God…He wants to prove Himself faithful.
5. Be Authentic. In a world of artificiality, authenticity is refreshing. Be yourself. Be honest and truthful.
6. Do the hard work. Being disciplined requires hard and often boring work but it bears good fruit. There will be times when you want to give up, press on, it is worth it. Excellence not perfection.
7. Laugh a lot. Have fun. Laugh. Dance. Get dirty. Take risks. Be spontaneous. There is beauty in every moment.
8. I am not Perfect. I want to be, I want you to see a perfect mother, but I am not. I am saved by grace.
9. Give Generously. There is not greater joy than to give. God has given everything to us to give back to others. No gift of time, treasure or talent will ever be wasted.
10. Be Purposeful. Use your words wisely. Invest in things that matter for eternity. Make thoughtful and prayerful decision. Be intentional